Sunday, March 17, 2013

Of late

 I found a dead owl on the side of the road this past Wednesday.  I drove by it on the way to town and and it was still there on the way back, its feathers fluttering with each passing breeze.  I drove by it once more and for about three more miles deliberated whether or not to turn around and pick it up.  I kept thinking about Ruth and how much she loves owls (they are a topic of discussion every day), so I decided what the hell and pulled a u-turn.  The body was surprisingly soft and supple and slipped right into one of our flower buckets.  We now have the wings to honor owl, and we buried the rest of the body under a redbud we've been meaning to plant.  To be honest I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with the wings at this point, but I think something beautiful will come out of it!
 We are several weeks behind normal here at the farm.  It has been so wet and cold there haven't been enough chances to get the tractor in the soil to get our beds ready.  Lucky for us we have the greenhouse and hoophouses to harvest from, but there will be a gap coming up soon!  I tried some hyacinth this year after a couple years break.  I'm glad I did, I think they are a great crop, despite having to fillet the bulbs and spend way too much time cleaning off all the dirt from their foliage.  The scent is so lovely.  A customer brought us a handful of Daphne stems last week and I am smitten with that one as well.  Wow, the fragrance on that one is just intoxicating in a divine way.  The ranunculus are finally coming on, anemones are blooming a little more heavily with some slightly warmer night temps, and the hoophouse and field tulips are starting to bud up.  Our 7 week flower share is 4 weeks in; I hope they are all satisfied!
 We've had a gorgeous round of veggies from our big hoophouse.  Broccoli raab headed up perfectly, lettuce heads so big we were able to charge 3.50/head, radishes and turnips so sweet, and the beets and radicchio are just about ready to harvest.  I've been wanting to cook so much lately despite not really having the time to do it.  It was Stuart's 35th birthday Thursday, so I made my first carrot cake---a definite success.  I also experimented with a first batch of granola that made the cut as well.  So easy and so good!






1 comment:

Susulieske said...

Beautiful produce. Bountiful blessings! Lovely to see what your hard work and God's faithfulness brings forth. Suzanne, Walker's cousin in AZ.