Here we have a couple pictures of some late lettuce and radicchio that should be ready in a couple weeks for winter market. The radicchio has taken awhile to head up, but is looking really nice. It's so hard to figure out what to charge for radicchio as it takes much longer than lettuce. We should have planted four times as much, but as we're in an amateur stage of farming (especially winter farming), we'll forgive ourselves. The temps have been super cold lately with the last two nights being 23F. We didn't rowcover our lettuce bed when it got down to 27F last week and we lost our romaine. The middle of the stems ruptured and are now brown and pretty gross looking. The other varieties held up, butterhead and two redleaf varieties. We covered for the past two nights.
Here is a picture of a presprouted anemone. It is my first time growing these so I have no idea how they'll perform. Seems a bit risky to have 60 ft. of them planted in our very valuable hoophouse space, but I come to this conclusion after having ordered them. Brilliant. The ranunculus we planted on Friday were a different variety than we normally grow (we got them from Ednie's) and they did NOT like the presprout treatment we gave them. We lost about half of them to some mold, and although we planted the other half, I feel like that may have been a mistake seeing as how they were probably all infected even if it wasn't obvious. I guess we'll see. The learning curve is a bit overwhelming. We're also concerned about how flowers are going to sell in our economy that is deflating. Hopefully people will need them as I do to brighten things up, but I think we may downsize some next season.