Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A few places I'd rather be and Papaver Somniferum

Here is a stunning gift of poppy seed heads from Helga, our friend from four leaf farm. Aren't they incredible? Each seed head contains around 1500-2000 seeds. Might be even more than that. Amazing. Celosia is another flower that is a seed producing superstar. The only problem with these ladies is that the seed scatters all over the counter or floor beneath the flowers. So little black seeds are their trademark. In any case, we'll have lots of poppy seeds, and we just hope we're not mistaken for criminals as we try to grow them. We'll hide all the opium in the basement I guess. As for the flower scene on the farm, we're stuck with black-eyed susans and sunflowers this week. I'm ready for the lisianthus to bloom. Stuart and I netted it and put shade cloth on it today so it'll stretch and be tall and beautiful with legs like Uma and a face like Salma Hayek. Well, I guess we'll have to see about that. They might turn out to be more along the lines of Imelda Staunton and Janet Reno.











And seeing as how it has been so hot and I've been daydreaming about places to be other than 105 degree north cackalacky, here are a few photos of places I wouldn't mind revisiting. Here I stand at Avalanche Lake up in NY, enjoying a little hike in the Adirondacks. Nice and cool, 40s at night, 60s in the daytime. One of my favorite hikes ever I might add.
And here goes Stuart down our favorite swimming hole up at Stone Mtn., NC. We love it there. Not only do you get to take a nice hike up a 600ft granite dome, there are waterfalls galore and it is only two hours and fifteen minutes from here. We'll be making an annual visit at some point this year.And last but certainly not least, we have the bahamas. This is Stuart's niece Claire, or should I say her behind, and I must say she is one of the most adorable children ever, comparable only to her older sister Ella who is just as adorable. Almost makes me want kids. Almost. So it's nice to be able to virtually revisit these places, and there are oh so many more places we'd like to go. But the reality of it all is that I am in NC right now. In the hot Piedmont. Farming. Crazy fools we be. World-travel will have to wait until we (1)find the million dollars hidden on our farm, (2) planes run on solar or wind-powered electic energy (3) the crops decide it's time for a vacation and (4) we run out of things to do on the farm. For the time being, NC isn't really all that bad, and where else could we make it farming our second year together?

No comments: