Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Easy reading, good eating

As it is time to nail down some dates for starting flowers this winter, I decided to get a calendar to help with the timeline.  There are fun tidbits and quotes throughout, such as, "Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."--Alfred Austin, English poet (1835-1913)  and, "Autumn is a second spring where every leaf is a flower."--Albert Camus, (1913-1960) and We come from the earth, we return to the earth and in between we garden ---Anonymous.   I'm excited about planning for this winter.  We were going to put up another hoophouse, a smaller one just for flowers, but we decided we'd rather move into our house sooner than later, so "build build build" will be the mantra this winter.  I'll let my vision of armfuls of flowers in January fade for now and replace it with a vision of a woodstove, a cozy couch, and a warm cup of tea.  Although realistically, it will probably look more like a cold hammer, cold nails, a runny and pink nose, and layer upon layer of clothes.  
I've now finished The Corrections (what a ride!), Stuart is almost done with The Elegance of the Hedgehog (one of my favorites this summer) and at the Regulator bookstore I just got The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.  This is the year of summer reading; I don't think I read one novel last year during the farming season.  Loving it.  And our dinners of late.  The slicing tomatoes are coming to an end soon.  We can't believe we didn't put any in our late planting.  It'll be cherries and romas til' frost.  We'll enjoy the big ones for now.  



No comments: