Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Frozen

 I found this little one frozen solid on top of one of our bigger mud puddles around the farm.  The puddle is probably 5' x 7' and 3-4" deep.  I have no idea how it managed to get there, smack in the middle, on top of the ice with its head or tail slightly arched as if wanting to feel the soft moonlight a touch more intimately before passing.  It's attempt at self-preservation took a slightly wrong turn somewhere.
It has been extremely cold for us and for our flowers with lots of nights in the teens, snow ice and rain.  So much rain.  And don't forget the winds!  Just plain ol' messy.  Not the best weather to hit the ground running with a big year before us.  But slowly, ever so slowly, we are making our way to the greenhouse to start seed and trying get a grip on what the hell we are doing.  What the hell are we doing?  A valid question I ask myself more than I should!
We're trying our hand at just a few sweet peas this year.  I am excited about that.  Before I got into farming they were one of my favorite flowers, but after failing tremendously my first couple attempts, they got the snub.  But maybe I'm a better grower now.  My winter flowers aren't making me feel that way, but it's got to be the truth otherwise once again I must ask myself, what the hell am I doing?




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Alice I don't know how I lost track of your posts! Love that I founf my way again. Only difference is now there are cute little wee ones on your blog too and no I'm not talking about worms!
As before, I love reading your tales!