Sunday, June 12, 2011

Standstill

This past week was one of the more challenging ones so far this season. I pushed my limits Tuesday and did some weed-eating and by evening time my back was so painfully locked up I was having trouble walking. Wednesday was worse; I barely got through cutting and arranging our CSA bouquets and by noon every time I took a step there was the chance some nerves in my back and right leg would send a horrible shooting pain through my body. I was basically hobbled and a mess. Stuart had to come with me on the Wed. delivery run as I couldn't carry any boxes or buckets.
It was a strange, painful, and revelatory experience to not be able to walk properly. I had to look at some cold hard issues up close and personal which is really never that much fun. I'm much better several days later, but I know the pain is right there looming and lurking. So, needless to say, my mood has been a little heavy lately as if I'm emotionally stuck in a lap pool having to tread it out.
I got a few awesome treats at market on Saturday. Sharon from 'Weatherhand Farm' had some blackberries that are one of the best fruits of the year. But I'm talking about her blackberries as they are not the same from every farm. They are so beautiful. I want to draw them, paint them, and eat them until my belly hurts. They are SO good.
They look a lot like the 'dark knight' scabiosa which we have a lovely crop of this year. Too bad I can't eat those. I also got a gorgeous Eucomis plant from Tim and Helga at 'Four Leaf Farm'. I hear you can propagate it easily by leaf cuttings; let's hope so cause that flower is hot stuff.

1 comment:

Randy Emmitt said...

Alice,

I hope your feeling better. Let Stuart to these kind of chores at least until the baby comes!